SOUTH ORANGE MAPLEWOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION
This page is dedicated to give resources and guidance to the Special Education process. The Special Education Resource Packet gives full details of the process starting from requesting a referral to the child study team, to developing an initial Individualized Education Plan (IEP), to ongoing implementation and adjustments to the IEP. This packet is the product of collaborative efforts between parents and guardians of students with special needs, represented by the South Orange Maplewood Special Education Parent Advisory Committee (SEPAC), and the South Orange Maplewood School District’s Department of Special Services. For more information about the SOMSD Special Education resources and staff, it can be found here.
Each school in the district is represented by a special education liaison. For Jefferson Elementary School, Diego Ribadeneira is the VP of Special Education and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Education Resources
The Special Education Parent Advisory Committee (SEPAC) is an advocacy group focused on policies, programs and practices within the South Orange Maplewood School District. Families and caregivers of students with learning needs or students eligible for or receiving services under an IEP or 504 plan are encouraged to attend SEPAC meetings.
This year, the community has one special education parent group because the Special Education PTO has merged with SEPAC.
SEPAC provides parents with tools and information to work collaboratively with the school district and to be more effective advocates for their children with special education needs. Our meetings consist of featured conversations and presentations as well as support, resource sharing and the ability to connect with other members of the special education community. Meetings with featured topics are our attempt to get those with similar concerns in the same room at the same time. But all are always welcome!
Membership to the Special Education PTO is free. They meet monthly, 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm, at the Board of Education building, 525 Academy Street in Maplewood, NJ 07040, 3rd Floor conference room.
Here are the upcoming events at the Board of Education building unless otherwise indicated:
- September 25, 2018 | General Support Meeting/ Voting for New Executive Board
- October 24, 2018 | Understood.org presenting an IEP Binder workshop at Montrose Early Childhood Center
- November 27, 2018 | Support Meeting for families with preschoolers and newcomers to SEPAC
- December 2018 | Social event for families | Details TBD
- January 2019 | Renay Zamloot, Educational Advocate to speak
- February 26, 2019 | Support for families of secondary students
- March 27, 2019 | Support for families of out of district students
- May 22, 2019 | General support for all families/ end of year
Each featured topic is our attempt to get those with similar concerns in the same room at the same time but all are always welcome! A representative of SOMA SEPAC will give a brief update of their organization's advocacy efforts at each meeting.
There is also a Facebook Group which you can join, and it's called the South Orange/Maplewood Special Education Community.
The Parenting Center serves elementary school families in the South Orange Maplewood School District. The Center's goal is to be a dynamic resource in our community addressing children's needs and parent's concerns. Its aim is to provide parents with a full range of supports as they help their children grow and develop. For more information about The Parenting Center, visit their website here.
- Sponsors an evening speaker series addressing parents' most common concerns. Speakers are nationally known experts as well as local professionals.
- Presents parenting workshops on topics ranging from sibling rivalry, to bullying, to helping children eat more healthfully (a nominal fee is charged for some workshops).
Welcome to the Jefferson PTA site. We have so many great things to share. Please sign up to view:
- Upcoming calendar events
- Online directory
- School Store
- Newsletter subscriptions
- Volunteer Opportunities
- And much, much more!